Thursday, May 08, 2008

¡Fiesta!

Mis amigos, the Fiesta Kansas City opens mañana at Crown Center, home of the Kansas City Irish Fest, which opens itself in just 113 days. Now, I'm aware that you, Irish person, might not have that event high on your list of must-do's this weekend, but you should. As I've done for Oktoberfest and Fest Italiana before in an effort to expand your ethnic horizons, I present ten reasons why the Irish should come out in droves for this year's fiesta.

1. Hello? Mexican food anybody? If we'd had food that good in Ireland nobody ever would have left.

2. They're having something called a "grito" or "Mexican cheer" contest. Might I suggest shouting "Irlanda es el mejor país en el mundo" real loud. The judges will love that, trust me.

3. Mexican music is feckin' great stuff (see below) and like Irish Fest, this is a music driven event. Plus the Fiesta is featuring Mariachi Las Altenas de San Antonio, an all-girl Mariachi band, which I think I had a dream about one time. Only I'm pretty sure this band will be wearing more than just sombreros.

4. Well, hey, sombreros. Who doesn't look good in a sombrero?

5. Batallón de San Patricio.

6. One of Kansas City's best Irish musicians, Gabriel Reyes, is what? That's right, a Mexican. And Friday is his birthday! ¡Feliz cumpleaños!

7. Spanish speaking peoples are single-handedly responsible for keeping the letters z, q and x employed and for that we owe a great debt. Don't believe me? Ask my friend Xavier Rodriquez.

8. Hell, they used to own half our country. The least we could do is go spend some beer money at their festival.

9. Tortilla throwing contest!! Are you kidding me? Why even have anything else? Where can I set up my guacamole cannon?

10. Margarita Cove. Irish people + Tequila = Good times. It's mighty good thing that the agave plant doesn't grow near Ballaghaderreen or Caherciveen. The Irish would still be living in caves.

Need one more? It's free. There you go, amigos. I'll see you there. If you need more información, get it right here.

No comments: