Friday, January 13, 2012

Winter Storm Blows In

Driving in to Other Job this morning I passed as I do each day the Marriott Hotel just up the hill from the Country Club Plaza shopping district near my palatial home. And there outside the hotel I saw, walking down the sidewalk in 13° temperatures, a guy in a skirt kilt. Which can only mean one thing. Well, it could mean a couple things, but since I don't feel like getting beaten up by Scotsmen today, I'll go with the one thing: Winter Storm 2012 is here.

Winter Storm, the annual pipe and drum battle roars into Kansas City today and stays the weekend. The very best, the cream of the crop of Highland pipers and drummers will compete and perform and you can be part of it, even if you can't tell a sporran from a scraper. The main public event is the big concert Saturday night at 7:15 P.M. in the Community Christian Church, 4601 Main. Doors open at 6:00 P.M. Purchase general admission tickets at the door, north entrance, Saturday beginning at noon. Cash, checks, and credit cards accepted.

A variety of workshops and legendary after-parties will also be going on. Find all the details on the Winter Storm website

Head on out there. Maybe wear some legwarmers under the old kilt though, it's cold. I'm sure no one will laugh at you.

No comments: