Monday, July 31, 2006

For Your Viewing Pleasure

I have 20 year old 19 inch TV. To me, plasma is something college students sell for beer money and high definition is a dictionary on the top shelf. I still have to ask my 13 year old son to tape programs for me...on tape. I first got cable a year and a half ago only because my wife demanded it. To put it mildly, I'm not a video guy. Consequently, I have no idea what Netflix is.

Luckily, Irish Fest Director Ronan Collins does and has let me, and now you, know that you can catch a sneak peak at Kevin Gildea, one of our Kansas City Irish Fest comedians in the DVD entitled 'Cream of Irish Comedy' through (on? in? at?) Netflix. If you know what that is, fair play to you. Here's the info:

To raise money for Amnesty International, Ireland's top comics gather at Dublin's Gaiety Theatre for a one-time laughfest showcasing the deep well of talent the country has to offer. Watch as Kevin Gildea, Pauline McLynn, Brendan O'Carrol, Dermot Morgan, Barry Murphy (KCIF 2005), Eddie Bannon, Michele Read, Dara O'Briain and other quipsters mine the Emerald Isle's (and the rest of the world's) foibles and woes for a sidesplitting good time.

Ronan also suggests that Irish Festers might enjoy these selections, on (at? in? through?) Netflix.

Out of Ireland: The Hit Songs and Artists of Irish Music (2003) Taking a walk down memory lane, this documentary focuses on Ireland's musical heritage, starting with musicians such as Rory Gallagher and Van Morrison in the 1950s. Through the years, the evolution of Irish rock music has been facilitated by bands such as The Undertones and U2 and more recently by artists such as The Corrs and Sinead O'Connor. Performance clips and interviews give a private look at some of Ireland's most gifted musical exports.

The Boys and Girl from County Clare (2005) Sibling rivalry hits the stage as estranged brothers compete against each other at a music fest in this bittersweet tale set in Ireland. Returning home after over 20 years, Jimmy (Colm Meaney) is determined to see his band win a music competition, but not if brother John Joe (Bernard Hill) has anything to do with it. As the two pull dirty tricks on each other, John Joe's fiddler (Andrea Corr) catches the eye of a handsome lad in Jimmy's band.


So there you go. If you need me, I'll be watching Beverly Hillbillies reruns just as soon as I can fashion this coat hanger into an antenna.

No comments: