Tuesday, August 01, 2006

And They're Off

When I was growing up we'd have a big block party on July 4th in my old neighborhood. Part of the celebration included games, like a water balloon toss, a three legged race and a sack race.

I ruled the sack race, man. I'm not kidding. I was a greased lightning. I was the Secretariat of the sack, a blur in burlap. I was one hot potato.

I hung up my bag years ago, but I might just have to come out of retirement at Irish Fest this year when we present the first annual Kansas City Irish Fest Spud Races.

Irish Fest Spud Races
Individual Heats in these age groups: 2- 4 yrs old, 5-8 yrs old, 9-11 yrs old, 12-14 yrs old, 15 – 18 yrs. old
Race times: Friday, Sept 1 - 7:15 PM
Saturday, Sept 2 – 1:30 PM and 5:45 PM
Sunday, Sept 3 – 1:15 PM

Here how it works. Racers will run to their sack, put both feet in and begin hopping toward the finish line. Contestants must keep both feet in sack and at least one hand on the sack at all times. The sack must remain as close to the waist as possible and should not fall below the knees. The first racer to the finish line wins.
Winners from Friday and Saturday will be invited back for the Championships on Sunday, Sept 3 at 5:45 PM.

And if the whippersnapper who wins that thinks they're up to it, maybe they can take me on.

No comments: