Thursday, May 30, 2013

Whiskey! All You Want!

Well, all you're likely to need anyway. This coming Saturday at the Irish Center, join Whiskeymeister and pride of Donegal, George Vial as he leads you down the golden flowing river of the water of life.

The basic tasting includes 6 samples and costs $40. But take it from me: you want the Premium. I was at the last tasting at the Center and every single one of the 7 or so people who had only signed up for the basic whipped out their checkbooks and upgraded on the spot when the basic selection was complete. Every one. See, the premium tasting includes an additional four samples of the best of the best, including Middleton Very Rare and my favorite, Redbreast. Only signing up for the basic would be like climbing most of the way of Everest or walking out of Citizen Kane before you find out that Rosebud is a sled*.

I also happen to know that for this tasting only, and only at the Premium level, George will be pouring an additional special, very rare, very expensive, nearly impossible to get sample.  I can't tell you what it is, but I will tell you that I can neither confirm nor deny that it rhymes with Fairy Sprocket.

You'll learn the fascinating history of Irish whiskey and find your favorite. George is an engaging, funny and very knowledgeable host. The tasting is at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday at the Center (doors open at 6:30 p.m.) Full details (including online registration) are to be found at  http://www.irishcenterkc.org/events-2-2/irish-whiskey-tasting/.


* Sorry if I spoiled that for anybody. 

No comments: