Thursday, March 12, 2009

Tooning Up

I woke up this morning to find dozens of entries in our cartoon caption contest, the one featuring the poor girl in the way-too-big wig. A few entries actually made me laugh out loud which is a great way to start the day. I've extended the deadline through the weekend, so get your funny caps on and get yours in.

And will one of you feis parents help me out here? The cartoon reflects my bafflement at those crazy curly wigs that all those Irish dancing girls wear. Not to wave my ignorance around, but why are they ubiquitous? Are they required for competitive dancing? If so...why? Any enlightenment would be welcome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I add to your question? Do dancers in Ireland (like Jean Butler) wear them? I just can't picture it.

Anonymous said...

Wearing wigs is new. It started within the last 10 years. When my daughter first competed when she danced with the O'Riada Academy; we would have to curl their hair the night before with plastic curlers. This proved to be a tough night’s sleep and not always a successful result. Then it went from curlers to different colored foam "spikes” that they would wrap their hair around to get the same ringlet look. It also allowed the girls to get a better night sleep and made for an interesting fashion statement. The look on innocent travelers as they walked in the hotel where the competition was held, as 500 girls walked around with 6 inch bright yellow and pink foam spikes sticking out of their heads, was priceless. The wigs are now just simply easier and an obvious faster result. The ringlets origin is presumably about 50 years old where the dance competitions would be on a Sunday and begin after Mass. The girls would curl their hair to look their best for church. The tradition of wearing your hair in ringlets carried on to all competitions regardless of what day they were held and became part of their costume.

Anonymous said...

When my daughter did dance competitions, we were always told that the judges assessments included grading the traditional curliness of the hair - this was before the wig thing. I don't know if this was or is true but if so, how dumb is that? What would it have to do with dance ability? But I wish I'd become a dance wig entrepreneur!