Friday, March 27, 2009

Band Announcement

Whoa, 4:30? Where'd that day go? Sorry for the late post. Preparation for the conference next weekend has been sort of kicking my ass this week. Don't forget to join us for your part of the gathering, the music showcase at Raglan Road on Friday night.

Speaking of music, it's been far too long since since I gave you a band announcement, hasn't it? Let's make up for that and let's do it right now.

Scythian.

The boys who burned down the State Street Stage last year are making an encore appearance at this year's Kansas City Irish Fest, Saturday and Sunday. Did you see them last year? High energy doesn't begin to describe these boys, and it's infectious. If you can stay in your seat during a Scythian show, you're a better man than I. And mixed in with all that madness is some genuine virtuoso fiddling.

Welcome back Scythian. And happy Friday everybody.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are we going to have anybody new or is it going to be repeat of last year?

Danny Regan said...

I've made five 2009 band announcements here so far and three of those, Cara, The Makem and Spain Brothers and The McCabes are new bands. The other two, Scythian and Slide, played their first KCIF shows last year and are returning for a second round, as most of our successful bands do.

Anonymous said...

Scythian blows

kevin said...

There's a great P.T. Barnum quote that probably applies here...

"The only real way to stave off the criticism of the insatiable thirsty masses is to under-promise and over-deliver."

Danny Regan said...

Brilliant...and true, Kevin.

I wonder if Anonymouses number one and two are the same person? Somebody needs a hug.

Anonymous said...

Scythian is awesome...thanks for bringing them back...!

Harmony said...

Scythian is absolutely fantastic!! They blew me away last year and I'm thrilled they're coming back...thank you for adding them to the '09 line-up!!

Anonymous said...

When I booked Scythian last year the asked me NOT to put them up against The Elders. Well, things happened and I put them up against Elders on Sunday night. Instead of mailing it in and expecting the entire crowd to be watching our hometown boys, they put on the performance of the weekend in front of about 4000. It will be nice to have them back. BTW, they are playing before The Elders on the Boulevard Stage this year, Sunday night.

-Shaughnessy

Kirsten said...

Thank you for booking Scythian!! They're fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Hey Annon! Since you are such a pro at criticing bands, who be your choice instead of Scythian?

Anonymous said...

SO WHAT ABOUT THE SAW DOCTORS? THERE WAS TALK ABOUT THIS WONDERFUL GROUP.

jrp said...

to Anonymous #3 - The Prodigals, The Saw Doctors, The Waterboys, Damien Dempsey, The Levellers, heck I'd take the Kelihans over Scythian. Ok so "blow" might be a little harsh. They aren't bad musicians, but there is something that just doesn't seem authentic about their live performance. So I will revise my opinion to say they are just OK. But it's definitely a good thing I don't book bands for the Irish Fest or there would only be about 10 bands playing.

jrp said...

Oh sorry, I meant anonymous #4. And for the record, I am not anonymous #1.

Also, add Millish to my list.

Anonymous said...

BRING THEM ALL BACK.

Sunshine said...

Great call Dave on their timeslot and placement!!