Thursday, October 02, 2008

The Opening (Cow) Bell

When the fest ends, we're all pretty sick of each other here at Irish Fest HQ. Some of us are pretty sick of Irish Fest in general, to be honest with you. It's definitely the least Irish month of the year as we decompress and decomfest. September is for rest, for catching up with the rest of our lives, reintroducing ourselves to our families and pets, seeing if we still have jobs, listening to other kinds of music. Actually, we really like September.

September's over. Back to work. Irish Fest opens in 337 days.

So today, an announcement. Our 2009 cow has a mother. Kansas City illustrator Maja Andersen has graciously accepted the assignment for our 7th festival. Maja (pronounced "My-a") is originally from Ohio and is the daughter of Danish immigrants, hence her funny name. And in keeping with the family atmosphere here at Irish Fest, Maja happens to be married to Tom Patrick, the artist who created our poster cow back in 2005.

I've known Maja for 20 years and she's going to give us a great cow. I won't try to describe her style, but I'll tell you that if you've liked the whimsical direction our bovines have been headed the past couple years, you'll love what Maja does.

Our cow artists are highly trained, successful, professional artists who work for us in exchange for beer, free tickets and glory. This is a great favor they do for us every year. Please welcome Maja to the roster, and save a spot on the wall for the 2009 poster. You're gonna love it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Our cow artists are highly trained, successful, profesional artists....."

All of them?

Danny Regan said...

Yes, all of them.

Anonymous said...

Good. Perhaps she will understand how important a cow standing up on its two back hooves playing a fiddle should look realistic. I bet she does not have naked utters exposed either.

Anonymous said...

How about a picture of all cows past and current? You know - like those placemats of the Presidents. Or can you put them all on here?

Anonymous said...

MYG isn't this why they call it art. I love all of the cows, and I am an old farm girl.

The one cow that I didn't relate to was one in a children's book that had six teats. Now that is really wrong.

I love the KCIF cows. I like they idea of a "cow hall of fame ".

Anonymous said...

WE HAD A COW HALL OF FAME IN THE SNUG THIS YEAR! WHERE WERE ALL OF YOU. I WOULD LIKE TO GET SOME PRINTS OF PAST COWS. SIGN UP FOR THE SNUG IN 09.

Anonymous said...

Colorado, I had to rummage through the IF Headquarters basement to find those cows, or should I say herd them, the varmints! Glad you were impressed! Maja, you have some tough cows to follow, we'll be waiting...

Anonymous said...

SNUG SISTER CAROL, ARE YOU THE ONE I NEED TO TALK TO ABOUT GETTING SOME PRINTS OF PAST COWS? I ALSO WANT TO BE A COWHAND.

Anonymous said...

Regarding comments 1 and 3.
1. I didn't make them.
2. I learned my lesson.
The next cow can have uilleann
pipe regulators sticking out
of her ears and I promise
I won't say a word.
Let it go, people.

Anonymous said...

OH SNUG SISTER CAROL, I HAVE A BEAUTIFUL GREEN PASTURE FOR ALL THEM COWS. THEY WOULD BE WELL TREATED, FED VERY WELL, GROOMED, ETC.

Anonymous said...

THE NAKED UTTERS ARE TO FEED THE NEW BABY COWS, ALL THE FUTURE KC IRISHFEST COWS . MAYBE WE COULD HAVE A GROWNUP COW AND A BABY COW TO REPRESENT THE 09 FEST. IS IT TIME YET? TIME SURE FLIES WHEN YOUR MOOING AROUND.