Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Good And Bad

Leaving the ol' card factory today, I took a minute to peruse the St. Patrick's Day offerings at the company store. For sale this year, a collection of party ware and party wear bearing the names McGoggle's and O'Drinky's, which presumably are pretend Irish pubs. You can also get a big felt leprechaun hat, a green tinsel wig and an over-sized sequined bow tie. Happily, also available is a St. Pat's Day card that plays 2008 Kansas City Irish Fest 2008 headliners Gaelic Storm's song Kiss Me I'm Irish from the Bring Yer Wellies CD.

Buy the card, by all means. But if you need something to wear this St. Patrick's Day, consider a K.C.I.F. hoodie instead. We have some available at the Irish Fest office. Let me know if you're interested and I'll hook you up.

O'Drinky's...why don't they check with me on this stuff?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for bringing this up. Am I the only one the is very offended by the Arbie's TV adv that has the Irish step dancing monkeys. Does this not resemble the political cartons that the English portrayed the Irish as primative monkey like creatures? Why is acceptable to stereotype the Irish, however if we did something similar to any other culture we would be considered racists. Hern Christopher has refered to the festival organizers in the past as "Greenies". I dare him to use the term Blackies.

Anonymous said...

I've been saying for years that the Irish are the only group left that it is permissible for others to denigrate. I think I may have finally discovered two reasons that this is so:
1) the Irish are too secure in their own identity for stuff like that to bother them, and
2)they laugh about it all the way to the bank

Anonymous said...

The whole country wants to be Irish, even for just one day, I say why not.
Let them wear what they want. I take it as just good fun. And maybe, just maybe while they are wearing their green shirts, hats and bow ties they will listen to a song sung by someone like Eddie Delahunt or Bob Reeder and learn a little Irish history. Perhaps even be moved enough to read some Irish history. Let's not take everything so seriously. I am Irish and proud to be Irish, I just don't think everyone is out to debase my nationality.

Anonymous said...

I think the monkeys are hysterical! If you are offended by a stupid commercial, you need to worry about more important things. It would serve everyone well to get a sense of humor and lighten up!