Sunday, August 12, 2007

Tenor

A few months ago I got a phone call from a little town in Kansas somewhere. I didn't know the caller, and when he told me why he'd called I was not exactly overwhelmed with excitement. He had a son who was a singer, a tenor, a great 17 year old singer and we really needed him at Irish Fest.

We get this a lot. Somebody's cousin has a band we really need to book, somebody's hairdresser is a piper who would be perfect for Irish Fest. It's worked out, oh let's see...never. Anyway, as I was trying to figure out how to politely end the conversation, the caller said that his son had recorded a CD that they'd given away at their church or something. I saw my opening. Send me the CD, I told him, and we'll give it a listen. Thanks for calling. Buh bye.

Two days later the CD came in the mail. Three weeks from today, you'll be as impressed as I was when young Anthony DeLallo sings during and immediately after Sunday Mass at this year's Kansas City Irish Fest. This kid has pipes. In the tradition of Ronan Tynan, John McCormack and Frank Patterson, Anthony sings with a voice that sounds like it starts in the soles of his feet and builds all the way up. You can check him out here and see what I mean.

Catholic Mass, Irish Fest Sunday at 9:30 AM.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow.....I have goosebumps. This kid is unreal! I think I'll actually make it to church that day.......maybe I'll bring my poor mother to witness this talented young lad and me attending a mass.