Monday, February 26, 2007

Kid Irish

There's a play being staged currently in Kansas City called "Love, Janis". Janis Joplin, the subject of the play was neither Irish nor from Kansas City. As far as I know there weren't things called "Irish Fests" when she died in 1970. So what's she doing here in Tir na Blog, you may well ask?

Here's what. There's a musician in that play, a guitar player named Tim Braun. At least that's what he goes by now. But 12, 13 years ago he was Kid Irish.

Kid Irish was a fighter. Just 3 1/2 feet tall, he took on opponents twice his size. They fought on their knees, but still. I fought The Kid more than once, and I have the scars to prove it. Maybe not the kind you can see. I mean, he was a little kid after all. I'm talking psychological scars. You don't get over that kind of thumping. My knees still hurt from the kneeling, too. Kid Irish retired undefeated and eventually turned away from the sweet science and took up the guitar. Today, he's a virtuoso player with his band The Supernauts and you can see him play at the Kansas City Rep Theater in Love, Janis through April 1.

Tim "Kid Irish" Braun also happens to be my nephew and Godson, and the son of Kansas City Irish Fest reunion area co-chair Carol Braun. I'm immensely proud of him. Get tickets to Love, Janis here.

And you better clap loud, 'cause he will smack you down, even if you're standing up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I miss those days...watching my brothers get beat up...big fun! But of course I'm very proud of my grown up "Kid" too. Thanks, Danny!

Anonymous said...

I saw this play on Saturday night. It was truly one of the best shows I've seen. It's basically a highly entertaining biography/rock show. And Tim does a spectacular job it it!

If you like music, (and if you are hanging around the Irish Fest crowd, I'm assuming you do!), and you have even just a slight interest in Janis' life, BUY TICKETS! It's worth every penny. And, you'll be supporting one of our town's great performing arts organizations! :-)

Laren

Anonymous said...

Yeah baby, not only can "kid Irish" aka Tim Braun rock the house on guitar, he can also rock your world with his flying fists. Go see "Love Janis" and check him out.

NEJ

David Shaughnessy said...

I think I was 0 or 5 against the "Kid." I am looking for a rematch.

Danny Regan said...

Dave, I believe that's you in the photo, on the left waiting for the next bout with a can of Old Milwaukee Light in your mitt!

Anonymous said...

Tim ROCKS!!!
Go see this play.
The Band is just incredible!

Chrissy Troutfarmer