Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Gone Feis'n

You'll notice some information on the home page this morning about the second annual Kansas City Feis. There on the home page, of course we have to be all official like...I mean it's the Home Page. But now that we're alone, here in the snug just you and me, I can tell you: you need to go to the Feis.

I confess I'd never been to one before last year. I have lots of friends who are dance parents here in town and had heard the stories. But as I have two sons who have about as much interest in Irish dance as they do in sheep shearing, I'd never been part of the Irish dance community. I heard about feis, sure. But you need to see one to understand. It's madness. Barely controlled chaos to the untrained eye, and maybe to the trained eye as well. A veritable sea of bouncing curly wigs, embroidered dresses that are worth more than my car (though to be honest, whatever you're wearing right now is probably worth more than my car), laughter, tears, drama (and that's just the parents), all punctuated by the constant low rolling thunder of shoes on plywood. It's a bee hive. It's an ant hill. It's insane. It's really pretty wonderful. It's sure as hell worth a visit. This Irish Fest weekend, take a few minutes and wander over to Westin Ballrooms and check it out.

No comments: