Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Oh, Me Boy, The Pipes, The Pipes Are Calling Me...

I recently saw a documentary on the world's greatest song, "Danny Boy", produced by the BBC and RTe and I think that you, with the possible exception of school bus drivers and brain surgeons, should immediately drop whatever it is you're doing and watch it as soon as you can.

This song gets a bad rap, no question. You may recall that I myself won a contest in 2009 in which I wrote new and cheerier lyrics to the song, for which a New York pub called Foley's sent me $500. And I admit that as a Danny Boy myself, I've had my moments when I wished the damn pipes would stop calling. But I think that after watching this film, you'll come to a new appreciation for the ditty. If you don't get goosebumps when Pat McGuigan sings it (along with the entire crowd) before his son Barry's world championship bout in 1985, then you're dead inside.

Sadly I can't find a place to watch it online anywhere just at the moment (it aired on Sunday on the BBC) but keep an eye out. You'll love it.

Here's a preview.

No comments: