Thursday, May 24, 2012

Immortality, Ellis Island And You

If you should happen across this album
in your local vintage record store and you played track one on side two, you'd hear the late, great Queen of The Blues Koko Taylor singing "Wang Dang Doodle." Right before that song's great bass line starts you'd hear Koko announce the song and in the background you'd clearly hear a male American voice shout "YEAH!"

That would be me. I was there at the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland that night in July of 1982 and my youthful exuberance is captured forever on vinyl in the live recording. Obviously, it's something I still think is pretty cool all these years later. If you've been waiting for a chance to be as cool as I am, you're in luck. You can take a giant step in that direction the weekend of June 15-16 when Irish Fest regulars Ellis Island record a new live CD at O'Malley's in Weston, MO. As Mick Doyle of the band tells me "We are taking it back to where it all started 15+ years ago for Dave and I."

So make plans to head up to O'Malley's and get yourself on record clapping and cheering and shouting with this great and always entertaining band.  For your listening pleasure, here's Ellis Island at O'Malley's earlier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, so you're that "Yeah!" guy. Man, you're everywhere.