Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Season

You know, nothing says Christmas to me like gambling on professional sports. So my old buddy Joe King with the Milwaukee Irish Fest and author of their great Peat Blog and I have a wee wager on today's game between his undefeated Green Bay Packers and our usually defeated Kansas City Chiefs. One six pack of locally brewed beer to the winner.

Now I know the Chiefs are having something less than a holly jolly season. But the other thing Christmas is about, besides the gambling on sports thing is miracles. The boys in Santa's jolly red are playing for a new head coach today. They're playing for pride. They're playing as spoilers. They're probably playing in front of several thousand Packer fans from the looks of the green and gold bedecked crowds I saw out on the streets yesterday. And I believe. I believe that miracles happen, just like that long ago Christmas when the little drummer boy rescued Rudolph the red nosed reindeer from the island of misfit toys. Just like when old Ebenezer Scrooge after being visited by Bob Marley decided not to foreclose on George Bailey's building and loan. Christmas miracles can happen. And that's why the Chiefs will beat Joe King's Packers today at Arrowhead and Joe will be mailing me some beer in violation of federal and state law.

All I need from you is to wish real hard, your best Christmas wish. Help my holiday dreams come true. Because being able to turn to a close friend and say "Ha ha! Your team lost to the crappiest team in the league! In your face!" is what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

Go Chiefs!

Kansas City 19 -Green Bay 14! Beers are on Joe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"…when old Ebenezer Scrooge after being visited by Bob Marley decided not to foreclose on George Bailey's building and loan." Epic.