Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Ed Said #25

In the last month I've had the pleasure to visit with a young lady from central Nebraska. Leslie is a high school student in Sumner, Nebraska. What makes these conversations so interesting is her love for the Kansas City Irish Festival. She has attended several times with her mom and soon to be step dad. Let me tell you, that in no uncertain terms she has informed me that not having Enter the Haggis and The Saw Doctors on the line up is very disappointing to her. She tells all of her classmates about the bands that she sees at Irish Fest, the difference between them being trad and Celtic Rock, the dancers and the story telling and they look at her as if she is speaking in a foreign language. She gets Irish Fest. She is the future of Irish Fest. There are many young people like Leslie that are growing up with the Irish Fest tradition. They are becoming a part of the life's blood of the festival. And when the old guys like Regan, O'Connor and Follis are no longer able to run from stage to stage and remember where and why they were going there, the Leslie's, Michael's, Lily's, Kelsey's, Erin's, Alana's and Aiden's will be there to take over. The Festival will be in good hands. Now I wonder where I'm going this afternoon?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote the pub, 4-ish?

Anonymous said...

I think KCIF DOES have Enter the Haggis in 2008, http://www.kcirishfest.com/entertainment.php
She need not be soon upset after all Ed :)

luvirish said...

Oh my gosh Ed thank you so so much for telling my story. This means a lot to me and can't wait for Irish Fest this year!!!
love ya,
leslie