Thursday, September 06, 2007

Go Raibh Míle Maith Agat

Irish Fest 2007 is wrapped up and tied with a big green bow. Time for some thank yous.

Thank you to all our sponsors, without whom none of the wonderful things that went on at Irish Fest ever happen. Your vision, trust, enthusiasm and generosity is appreciated and valued. Special thanks to Rick, Amy and all our our wonderful hosts at Crown Center for putting up with us with such good humor every year.

Thank you to my fellow festival directors. I'm not sure that any of us noticed when the job title for director morphed into "do everything, all the time, don't stop" but you guys and girls were a wonder to behold this past weekend. Thanks for your leadership, experience and friendship.

Thank you to all the committee chairs, the real engine that drives this event. With 5 years behind us, it's a joy to have a seasoned experienced staff who do their long and difficult jobs with ease, grace and good humor.

Thank you to our 1000 volunteers, many of whom I was lucky enough to meet, many more of whom I saw working away with unfailing smiles all weekend long. I hope with all my heart that you had some fun...enough to come back next year and bring a friend. Special thanks to those elite volunteers who were with us from bell to bell.

Thank you to the bands, musicians, singers, dancers and storytellers who made up the best entertainment line-up we've ever had. Words fail to describe the level of talent assembled in Kansas City last weekend. So great to see those who've become friends over the years, and what a treat to find that so many of you we hadn't met before turned out to be as nice as you are skilled. Special thanks to local hero Eddie Delahunt and his merry band for soldiering on acoustically while a prematurely deceased generator on the Boulevard Stage was replaced. No better men.

Thanks to all the talented bakers, photographers and knitters who entered our first year contests. I had the great and tasty honor of helping to judge the Sunday soda bread battle and it was one of the more pleasant duties I had all weekend. Hearty congratulations to all the winners.

Thank you to all the wonderful vendors who kept us all properly fed, clothed, informed and souvenired. I hope you all had great weekends and will join us again next year. I only wish I'd had time to shop.

And last but in no way least, thanks to the 85,000 of you who honored us with your presence in 2007. We sincerely hope you enjoyed your stay and that we earned a spot on your 2008 Labor Day weekend calendar. Speaking of which...

The 6th Annual Kansas City Irish Fest opens in just 358 days!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who won the trip to Boston? Was it me? I would like to see a game at Fenway this year. Hell Danny, I will take you with me, lets go.

Anonymous said...

This was my families first trip to the fest and i promise it won't be the last!!! This was an amazing family vacation and I want to say thank you so much for the kids section. after my three year old was all banged up from that GIANT slide he partied until 11pm with mum and dad listening to the young dubliners- which happens to be his second favorite band of all times.
i really enjoyed the dance competition although i missed a large part of it. (can we have schedules with the band schedule next year?) and my husband enjoyed the music and beer and themany friends he met from ireland.
so yeah, thanks again. AMAZING time.


p.s. any chance flogging molly might come back for next year? (that being my sons absolute fav band.) slainte!

Jenn said...

Wow in your forties and your not mature enough to post all comments about the irish fest the KC Irish fest. Yet you post on my page...wow is all I can say.

Danny Regan said...

Sorry, Jenn. I was away from the computer for a day and I'm a little behind in posting comments. I'm still a little tired. No slight intended. All your comments are posted.