Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Coming Storm, Chapter Three

Chapter three, the conclusion of our story.

“It was hilarious being in the movie, we didn’t know what was going on. We thought it was just another film, like. We had it written into our contract that we couldn’t miss a night in O’Brien’s so they flew us home for the gig and had limos outside the bar when we were done to have us in make by 6am the following morning. They kept us there for four days. We played music every night and all the actors and Cameron himself would be in the bar with us havin’ the craic. We all went to the Premiere in Mann’s Chinese Theatre on Sunset Blvd. and were the band for the after party. Even after all that we didn’t know how big it was going to be and the effect it would have. We didn’t even record a CD until six months after.

“By then I had quit the pub and moved back to the bank, worked my way up the ranks to third in command for the nation wide company when Twigger asked me, that if he could book enough gigs to keep them on the road from summer to Christmas would I think about giving up the job. I rang my Dad and he told me that if I felt I needed to do it then go for it, after all it was a once in a lifetime chance. In fairness to my boss he said the same and left the door open for me to return at anytime. So we went for it”

Steve Twigger booked as many gigs as he could and with all the talk about the film they traveled to Japan, Hawai’i, France and even Cobh to open the Titanic Bar where Pat had his most nervous performance to date. “ Havin’ me father there for the first time was awful! I was a wreck before the show, like. It went great though and he has come to loads of shows since.”

Gaelic Storm are booked as the headline act for every festival they play this summer in America as they go ten years on the road as full-time musicians. Has Pat any regrets leaving the bank? “I do, ya!” says Pat before he go out in front of a sell-out screaming1500 seated concert hall in Utah.


Gaelic Storm is back for year two at the Kansas City Irish Fest in less than two weeks, as is Mairtin and the rest of the Fuchsia Band. Be sure to have Murphy balance your checkbook for you while he's here.

No comments: