Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father's Day

When I was a kid, my Dad was guaranteed to get three things for Father's Day, every year. Cuticura medicated soap, Muriel Coronella cigars and cashew nuts. He'd get the same things for his birthday, and for Christmas. With three times as many kids as there were gift ideas, there was always a lot of scrambling to get first dibs on giving him one of his holy trinity of presents. And a lot of group giving of small items ("Dad, the soap is from Peggy, Pat, Terry AND me!"). I don't know how these three things became "what you gave Dad". I don't honestly know that he even liked them all that much. Except that they came from his kids, and that's really all that matters to any of us Dads.

So for all the Dads out there, especially Kansas City Irish Fest Site Host co-chair Barney Walsh who's celebrating his first Father's Day on the receiving end, a very Happy Father's Day. I hope you get all the soap, cigars and cashews your heart desires...and all the love that comes with them.

5 comments:

littleskillet said...

Happy Father's Day!

Danny Regan said...

Thank you, Tommy. It's so fun to be your papa.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories. I could smell the soap and the cigars as I read. It's amazing what memories can still make you cry, even after 20 years. Happy Father's Day, Dear Ol' Dad, and to you, Danny. O.J.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories, danny...and for making me teary! Happy Father's day to you, big brother!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great note Dan. Baby Seamus, Sarah and I had a great, relaxing fathers day. Seamus' grandfather always got the pickled herrings and the sardines! And in our house the new traditional gifts appear to be Jelly Belly's and a nice photo frame - two things you can never have too many of!