Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Buachaill with the Boogaloo


Maybe it's just me, but I think we have an absolutely incredible lineup of music on the Irish Fest stages this year. (In days to come, watch this spot to meet our own Dave "Shocko" Shaughnessy, the man who puts our schedule together.) As I write this, I'm listening to a performer that you will not want to miss at the Fest. His name is John Spillane and he will be jetting over to us from what he descibes as "the centre of the universe", also known as Co. Cork. We were made aware of John's music a year or two ago by another Corkman, Máirtín de Cógáin who Irish Festers know as the force of nature at the head of the Fuchsia Band. From the first time we heard John, we knew we had to book him. He recently won (for the second year in a row) Ireland's Meteor Music Award for best trad/folk performer, beating out the imposing likes of Altan, Kila, Christy Moore and Sharon Shannon. Not bad company, I'd say.

Check him out at www.johnspillane.ie where you can hear samples, see pictures, and buy his CDs. And then you'll be as excited as I am to see him live in Kansas City this September.

No comments: